This post is more of a motivational post rather than a particularly resourceful and fact-worthy blog post. For those of you who don’t know what Imposter Syndrome is, I have put the definition below:
“Impostor syndrome (also known as impostor phenomenon, impostorism, fraud syndrome or the impostor experience) is a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a “fraud”.”
It is something I think every business owner feels and something that we definitely shouldn’t. I know I have felt it before and I know many business owners who have been sat there wondering if they are good enough. The answer? YES YOU ARE.
Sometimes when you are trying to do something different to everyone else, and let's face it creating your own empire is pretty out there in the traditional sense of things, people will try and put you down. I have heard so many stories of people saying to business owners "why don't you get a real job?", "this isn't a proper job though" or "it will never work", which is such a shame as I am a true believer that we should always encourage people to achieve their dreams, even if they seem way out there.
I m so lucky to have the most supportive friends, family and partner but I know this isn't always the case so let's talk about how you can make yourself feel better when feel like an imposter:
1. Take 5 minutes to compose yourself (no one needs you tot throw your toys out your pram just yet)
2. Explain to someone what you actually do, how hard you work and show off a little bit about how amazing you are.
3. Ignore them, you're bloody brilliant and no one should make you feel inferior.
4. Keep working hard. Never let anyone feel like you should quit.
5. Write a list of all the things you have achieved so far, even if you only started a week ago and look back at it / add to it every now and again to remind yourself of how far you've come.
There will always be people who look like they are doing better than you and there will always be people who say you aren't good enough but don't ever let them dampen your dreams because one day you will be able to say 'Look at me, I made it' and laugh in the face of the people who didn't believe you.
Your cheerleader, Gemma
For more information, help and tips, you can join our facebook group here.